Tuesday, January 8, 2008

CFLs Will Kill Us All

So much for the environmental benefits... according to a story from WorldNetDaily (h/t Air1 Radio), experts are recommending that if a CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulb breaks, you should leave the room for 15 minutes due to the mercury that ends up in the air. But wait, it gets better. After cleaning up the bulb (don't use a vacuum, use rubber gloves, and place the remains in a resealable plastic bag), take it to your local recycling center for "proper disposal." From the article: "It costs about $1,300 to properly dispose of one municipal recycling bin full of bulbs – a figure that is sure to increase residents' tax bills."

Out of sincere curiosity, does anyone know if there are plans in place to begin recycling used CFLs? Seems to me if we can re-use the mercury, we should.

No comments: